How do I lose weight?

We gain weight is by exceeding our daily caloric requirement consistently over a reasonable period of time.

In order to lose weight, we simply need to create a calorie deficit. This means ensuring that our body uses more energy than we consume and using some of the energy we have stored as fat, to power our daily activities instead.

Once you achieve this, you will find yourself breaking down fat, and losing weight consistently over a reasonable period of time.

 

What are calories?

Calories come from protein, carbohydrate, fats and alcohol. For every gram of protein and carbohydrate you eat, you will consume 4 calories. For alcohol and fats, it is higher, with 7 calories per gram of alcohol and 9 calories in every gram of fat.

So, as you can see, not all types of food are equal, and you may be consuming more calories than you realise on a daily basis. Even if you feel like you are eating healthily it’s a good idea to remove the guesswork and become very clear on the amount of calories you’re taking in every day.

 

How do I become more aware of my caloric intake?

It’s well-documented that without tracking our daily meals we tend to underestimate the number of calories we consume each day, as well as over estimate how many calories we burn during exercise.

To become more mindful about your eating habits, we suggest using a tracking app like My Fitness Pal, or simply keeping a food diary with pen and paper, if that’s more your style.

You’ll build up a more accurate picture of your current caloric intake and learn what foods are high in protein, carbohydrate and/or fats. This will help to further optimise your diet.

 

How many calories should I have per day?

The average female should eat around 2000 calories per day and the average male around 2500. You should never reduce this amount by large amounts at one time, as this damages the metabolism and often results in a never-ending cycle of harsh dieting, rapid fat loss and gaining weight through rebound.

Your own personal intake will depend on not only your sex, but your age, height, and activity levels throughout the day. You can find out your personal calorie and nutritional requirements here:

LiFT Calorie Calculator

 

What are the best foods to eat to lose weight?

If you want more energy eat carbohydrates. We opt for the slowest digesting wholegrain carbs, as these aid with fat loss by preventing blood sugar spikes.

Lean protein will build you up and is best found in lean fish and meats. Vegetarian sources of protein can be found in low fat diary and whey protein supplements.

Healthy fats are absolutely essential for good health and hormone production. Look for healthy fats in sources such as nuts, seeds, olive oil, butter, cream and coconut oil.

Lastly stick with the 90:10 rule by eating optimal foods 90% of the time, with the remaining 10% left for treats, alcohol, sauces etc. Optimal foods are the closest you can find from nature. Healthy, unprocessed, and whole.

 

 

Summary:

In Summary, becoming more mindful of the calorie content of food, and balancing that out into the right amount of calories for you on a daily basis, will result in you being able to maintain your ideal body shape for as long as you chose.

Ultimately, we've given you the tools to get this done yourself, however, a trainer/gym can help you with the additional support, accountability, knowledge and motivation to help you keep on track and make the journey more enjoyable. 

If you need any help or want to chat about any of the info, then arrange a callback or email response through our contact form here: 

GET STARTED